Shrimp Creole over Brown Rice
Total time: 35 minutes longer if you have to clean shrimp
Chock full of vegetables and shrimp, you can make this as hot as you like. Mon mari likes lots of red Tabasco on his; I prefer the milder green. Serve over Brown Rice for a heart-healthy dinner.
- 12oz (360gr) shrimp, if cleaned, 16oz (450gr) if not cleaned
- 2 ribs celery
- 1 onion
- 1/2 green pepper
- 2 cups whole tomatoes, 15oz (450gr)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 3 - 4 (or more) dashes Tabasco or other hot sauce (optional)
- Brown rice
- 1/2 cup (3.3oz, 95gr) brown rice, quick-cooking
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) chicken stock (or half water) or whatever your rice calls for
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Clean shrimp if necessary.
- Roughly chop celery, pepper; chop onion and finely chop garlic.
- Roughly chop tomatoes, reserving all liquid.
- Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chili powder, paprika and sauté for15 - 20 seconds.
- Add celery, onion, pepper and sauté for 5 minutes, until starting to become tender.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute more.
- Add tomatoes, their juices, paste, herbs and sauces. Bring to a boil, stirring well.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes until vegetables are done and sauce starts to thicken. Taste and adjust sauce - adding Tabasco if desired.
- Turn heat to medium and add shrimp. Cook shrimp, stirring, until they start to curl and turn opaque, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and spoon over brown rice.
- Brown Rice
- Cook rice according to package instructions adding the herbs with the stock or water.
- Fluff and serve.