Creamy Scallops with Cheese
Total time: 15 minutes
I love creamy sauces but hate all the fat that is usually part of them. Puréed white beans are wonderfully creamy, healthy, and add a lovely flavor to the sauce. Finished with a bit of cheese and you have a rich, seemingly decadent sauce that's actually good for you!
- 12oz (360gr) scallops
1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 cup (8oz, 240gr) white beans (cannellini)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cup (2oz, 60ml) white wine
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup (2oz, 60gr) shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 1/4 cups (4.1oz, 120gr) pasta
- Cook pasta according to package directions, Drain.
- For the scallops:
- Heat oil in a medium, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallops and sauté quickly until they turn opaque, 2 - 3 minutes per side, depending on size.
- Sprinkle with lemon and paprika, remove and keep warm.
- For the sauce:
- Chop shallots and garlic.
- Heat oil in medium saucepan. Add shallot, garlic and sauté until tender.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Add beans, wine and 1/4 cup chicken stock to shallots and heat through.
- Remove and purée in blender or with immersion blender. Add more chicken stock if needed to get to a medium sauce consistency; the cheese will thicken it.
- Return to heat and bring to a simmer.
- Add thyme, 1/2 of the cheese and stir well as cheese melts.
- To finish:
- Combine pasta and sauce, arrange on a platter.
- Add scallops, sprinkle with remaining cheese and serve.