Baked Salmon with Creamed Onions
Total time: 30 minutes
Salmon is a rich fish, full of heart healthy fats. The slightly sweet, slightly tart flavors of the creamed onions balances the rich taste of the fish.
- 2 salmon fillets or steaks, 12oz total weight (360gr total)
- 2 tsp Herbes de Provence
- 1 tbs plus 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 medium onions
- 1/4 cup (2oz, 60ml) white wine
- 1/4 cup (2oz, 60ml) chicken stock
- 3 tbs Greek Yogurt
- For the salmon:
- Brush salmon with 1 tsp olive oil. Sprinkle with herbs.
- Put salmon on a baking sheet and bake in 400F (200C) oven for 15 - 17 minutes, depending on thickness. Salmon will be done when it flakes easily, slightly pink in the center is fine.
- Peel onions, cut in half and slice.
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and
sauté until very tender and about half are well-browned, 12 - 18 minutes.
- Add white wine, chicken stock and scrape up any browned bits from the skillet.
- Simmer, uncovered, until only 2 tbs of liquid remains in the skillet.
- Remove from heat, stir in yogurt.
- To finish:
- Remove salmon from skin if needed and place on plates.
- Spoon Creamed Onions on the side and serve.
Note: For easy clean up cover pan with foil first. This is especially nice if you are using fillets with the skin on. You can carefully lift the salmon off the skin to serve, leaving the skin on the foil. Then wrap the whole mess up and toss.