Chevre, Pesto and Honey Salad
Total time: 20 minutes
This is based on a salad we had this summer, but I used fresh tomatoes rather than stale croutons as a base for the cheese.
- 2 smallish tomatoes, 2 thick slices cut from each
- 2 tbs bread crumbs
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 4 tsp liquid honey
- 4 tsp pesto
- 4 slices aged goat cheese, 3/4" thick (about 3oz, 90gr)
- 4oz (120gr) spinach, torn
- handful basil, torn
- 1 1/2 tsp Dijon-style mustard
- 1 1/2 tbs white Balsamic
- 3 tbs olive oil
- Put 2 tsp olive oil on a small plate and bread crumbs on another small plate.
- Using your fingers, dip each tomato slice into oil, then bread crumbs.
- Heat remaining 2 tsp oil in a nonstick skillet.
- Add tomato slices and fry 3 - 5 minutes per side, until light brown.
- Drizzle 1 tsp honey on each tomato slice.
- Top with 1 tsp pesto and 1 slice of goat cheese.
- Remove skillet from heat and cover, just until cheese is warmed and starts to melt.
- While cheese softens, make the salad: In large bowl whisk vinegar and mustard.
- Slowly whisk in olive oil.
- When incorporated add spinach and basil. Toss well to combine.
- To finish: divide salad and arrange on two plates.
- Top each salad with two tomato / goat cheese 'croutons', sprinkle with paprika and serve.