Total time: 20 minutes
Use white button or brown cremini for this. If you want to use the larger portabella (not available here) you will probably only want to do 2 or 4, depending on size.
- 8 large mushrooms, (1 1/2 " diameter, 4cm) 12 medium, 16 small...
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5 tbs shredded cheese
- 3 tbs Greek yogurt, crème fraiche, or sour cream
- 1 tbs breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbs Parmesan, optional
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) tomato sauce
- Clean mushrooms, removing stems.
- Finely chop the shallots and mince garlic.
- Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add mushroom caps and sauté until light brown, 3 - 4 minutes, turning once.
- Remove and place on a baking sheet - with a lip so they don't slide off.
- Add garlic and shallots to pan and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- In small bowl mix yogurt, shredded cheese, herbs and crumbs.
- Add shallots and garlic and mix well.
- Spoon mixture into mushroom caps, dividing evenly.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake in 375F (180C) oven for 10 minutes, until they are light brown.
- To finish: Heat tomato sauce in a small saucepan just until warm.
- When mushrooms are done remove from oven.
- Spoon some tomato sauce onto the bottom of 2 small plates. Divide the mushrooms and arrange on sauce. Serve.
Note: If liquid accumulates in the caps before stuffing, stir it into the shallot mixture.