Lemon Soy Grilled Cornish Games Hens (Poussin... little chickens)
Total time: 60 minutes
If you get one, larger bird, you can cut it in half to cook faster (serving will be easy) or leave whole and add 10 - 15 minutes cooking time. When done they should have a lovely, dark gold glaze.
- 2 Cornish game hens or coquelette (little chickens)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp finely ground black pepper
- Tie legs together with kitchen string and fold wing tips under back (at first joint) - keeps them from flapping.
- Rub birds with olive oil.
- For the basting sauce: melt butter in a small saucepan; add lemon, soy and pepper.
- Cook hens on barbecue grill over indirect heat for 45 - 60 minutes or until done. Chicken is done at 160 F (70C) on your meat thermometer and/or the juices run clear when pierced with knife.
- During last 20 minutes of cooking baste with sauce 2 or 3 times.
- When done, remove from heat, cut string and serve - don't forget finger bowls (it's messy) and bone bowls (to keep your plates tidy).
- Or they can be baked in a shallow roasting pan in a 400F oven for the same amount of time - until done. If baking start basting immediately.