Chicken with Spinach, Red Onion & Red Pepper
Total time: 30 minutes
Bright red pepper and sweet red onion add color to the spinach, all cooked lightly, more of a salad than a hot vegetable. I cut the breasts in half, the short way. They cook a bit faster and it makes a nicer presentation.
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 red pepper
- 6oz (180gr) spinach
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 4 tsp oil
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 cup (1.5oz, 45gr) shredded cheese
- Slice onion and pepper.
- Pick through the spinach, discarding any wilted or damaged leaves. Wash and spin dry if necessary.
- Juice the lemon, picking out pips.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a large skillet. Add paprika and sauté 30 seconds.
- Add onion, pepper and sauté until crisp tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add chicken and brown on both sides. Cover the skillet, reduce heat and cook until chicken is done, another 5 - 7 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and cover to melt.
- Remove chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- The finish:
- Return pepper and onion to skillet with 2 tsp more olive oil. Heat through.
- Add spinach, lemon juice and sauté just until spinach wilts a bit 1 - 2 minutes.
- Put vegetables on individual plates, top with chicken and serve.