Roast Chicken on a Bed of Onions
Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Roast chicken is always a favorite. This sits on a layer of onions and is finished with the potatoes and carrots on the side. As always, a meat thermometer is invaluable.
- 1 whole roasting chicken
- 2 medium onions
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 tsp rosemary
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- Basting sauce:
1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) chicken stock
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) white wine
1/2 - 1 cup chicken stock depending on the amount of pan juices left
1 tbs cornstarch (maizena)
- The Chicken:
- Clean the chicken.
- Mix the rosemary, thyme and butter.
- Put the butter/herbs inside the chicken.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen string. Twist the wing tips around so they are tucked under the back, supporting the chicken. (If you don't do these last two it won't affect the recipe - only the appearance.)
- Slice the onions and put into the roasting pan, spreading out just enough to be under the chicken.
- Lay the chicken on top, breast side up, insert thermometer if using.
- Mix the soy sauce, vinegar and ginger. Brush over the chicken and roast, 375F (190C) for 40 minutes.
- Cut potatoes in 4ths the long way and then in thirds the short way.
- Peel carrots then cut in thirds the short way, then each length in half.
- Combine the chicken stock and white wine.
- Remove the chicken, arrange the potatoes and carrots around the chicken, spoon 1/4 of the basting sauce over the chicken and return to oven.
- Continue to roast for another 45 minutes, basting with 1/4 of the sauce every 15 minutes.
- Chicken is done when thigh temperature reaches 170F (77C) and the juices run clear.
- The Finish:
- Remove chicken to a platter, cover loosely with foil and let rest while you finish.
- Remove vegetables and cover to keep warm.
- Pour 1/2 cup chicken stock into the roasting pan if needed.
- Scrape up any brown bits and pour it all into a small saucepan. Use more chicken stock if needed.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Dissolve 1 tbs cornstarch in 1/2 cup chicken stock.
- Slowly pour into saucepan, stirring until clear and thickened to your liking.
Carve chicken and serve, gravy on the side.