Total time: 40 minutes
You can substitute sliced chicken 'tenders' if you like, or thin turkey cutlets. Both will cook a little faster. The chicken is browned, then finishes cooking in the oven while the sauce cooks in the skillet, keeping the crust intact.
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan
- 1 can crushed tomatoes, 15oz (450gr)
- 1 small or 1/2 medium onion
1 clove garlic
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 red wine
- 1 tbs Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (1.5oz, 45gr) shredded cheese - mozzarella would be nice
- Parmesan for sprinkling - freshly grated is nice
- 4oz (120gr) spaghetti
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain.
- Chop onion and finely chop garlic.
- Mix bread crumbs and Parmesan in a plastic food bag. Add chicken breasts and coat well.
- In medium nonstick skillet heat 1 tbs oil. Add chicken and brown well on both sides, 7 - 10 minutes, each.
- Remove, put on large, heat-proof plate and keep warm in a 250F (125C) oven.
- In same skillet add remaining tbs oil, onion and garlic and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, oregano, wine, vinegar, and sugar.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven and put into pan with the sauce.
- Sprinkle chicken with shredded cheese and cover until cheese melts.
- Put the chicken back on the hot plate, spoon some sauce over and serve with the remaining sauce on the side for the pasta.
- The Parmesan is for sprinkling on the pasta.