Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Ham, Spinach and Cheese
Total time: 40 minutes
These are easy to make: slice a pocket, fill and tie. They're baked with a drizzle of olive oil to make a crunchy crust. I snipped the string in a few places to make it easier to remove but left it on when serving: they looked nicer! Get breasts that are on the large side.
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1.5oz (45gr) Gruyère or other hard cheese, sliced
- 2 slices Prosciutto (about 2oz, 60gr)
- 6 - 8 small spinach leaves
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
- 2 tbs Parmesan, grated
- 1 tsp plus 1 tbs olive oil
- kitchen string
- With a sharp knife make a long slit in the edge of the chicken breast - cutting horizontally and being careful not to cut through the other side. Make the cut on the 'straight' edge of the breast. You should have a pocket the shape of the breast with 1/2 inch of 'uncut' chicken around 3 sides.
- Slice the Prosciutto and cheese to fit inside.
- Arrange 2 or 3 layers of Prosciutto and 1 or 2 of cheese in the 'pocket'.
- Put the spinach on top of the cheese.
- Wrap the entire breast with kitchen string to hold it together - and keep as much cheese inside as possible.
- Lightly whisk egg and put into a shallow bowl or deep plate.
- Mix bread crumbs and Parmesan and put on to another plate.
- Lightly oil the center of a baking sheet, a large enough place for both breasts with an inch or 2 in between.
- Dip the tied breasts into the egg, coating all sides, then into the crumbs, coating all sides (use your fingers).
- Lay on the oiled sheet.
- Drizzle the tops with the rest of the oil and bake, 400F (200C) for 30 minutes, until the crust is golden and the chicken done.
- Remove, snip the string in a few places, and serve.