Steak with Roasted Garlic and Red Wine Reduction
Total time: 60 minutes
In the summer cook these quickly on the barbecue; in winter, quickly sear in a hot skillet. Either way, do it at the last minute so they don't get too well done. The roasted garlic and shallots are creamy and mild; the wine reduction rich and silky.
- 2 6oz (180gr) steaks, tenderloin, preferred
- 8 shallots
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2 bay leaves (laurel)
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) red wine
- 1/3 cup (3oz, 90ml) beef stock
- 1/3 cup (3oz, 90ml) Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp cornstarch (maizena, corn flour) dissolved in 1 tbs beef stock
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp thyme
- Foil for wrapping garlic
- Garlic and shallots:
- Put 6 whole, peeled shallots and 6 whole, unpeeled garlic cloves into the center of a square of foil.
- Sprinkle with 1 tsp thyme and drizzle with 1 tbs olive oil.
- Bring edges of the foil together to make a package and fold together.
- Place package on a baking sheet with a rim and place in 400F (200C) oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes open package and roast for 30 minutes longer.
- Or: Place package over indirect heat on barbecue grill for 45 minutes, shaking and moving 2 or 3 times.
- Roughly chop remaining 2 shallots.
- Put shallots, remaining 2 cloves of garlic, bay leaves and wine in small saucepan.
- Boil until reduced by half.
- Add beef stock, vinegar, and reduce by half again. You should have 3/4 cup of sauce or less.
- Strain sauce and return to pan. Bring sauce back to a simmer.
- Dissolve cornstarch in beef stock.
- Slowly stir into sauce until thickened and clear. Keep warm.
- Brush steaks with remaining olive oil.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add steaks and cook, 3 - 5 minutes per side. If you like rare, remove after three minutes per side, make a small slit in one and check. If not done to your liking return for another 1 - 2 minutes per side. Remove from heat.
- Or: Cook on the barbecue grill for roughly the same amount of time.
- To Serve:
- Place steaks on small platter or individual plates.
- Remove garlic and shallots from oven and package and arrange around steaks.
- Spoon some sauce over each and serve, remaining sauce on the side.