Total time: 25 minutes
A thick sauce of tomatoes and oregano lend the 'pizza' taste to these steaks. You can simmer the steaks in the sauce for more flavor, if you like, be we prefer our steaks more on the medium rare side so we just spooned the sauce on top.
- 2 steaks, 6oz each, 1/2" thick (180gr, 1.25cm) or 1 larger steak (flank steak, strip steak)
- 1/2 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups (15oz, 450gr) whole tomatoes, drained
- 1 tsp paprika, sweet or smoky
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 4 tsp oregano
- 2 tbs red wine
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Chop onion; mince garlic.
- Heat 1 tbs oil in small skillet over medium heat. Add onion, cumin, paprika and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté 5 minutes longer.
- Drain tomatoes, reserving juice for another use.
- Roughly chop tomatoes and add to skillet along with wine and oregano.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until reduced and thickened.
- Meanwhile heat remaining tbs of oil in large nonstick skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Add steaks and fry quickly, 1 - 2 minutes per side, depending on thickness and desired degree of doneness.
- When done, put on small platter. Spoon sauce over and serve.
Note: If using a tougher cut, brown first, then add to sauce and simmer 15 - 45 minutes.