Total time: 90 minutes
Braised Veal Shanks, another Italian classic with many variations: some have a light, lemon sauce; some a heavy tomato. This is a light vegetable....
- 2 - 4 nice size veal shanks enough for 2, I had 3
- 1 medium leek, 1 cup chopped
- 1 medium carrot, 3/4 cup chopped
- 1 rib celery, 3/4 cup chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 3/4 cup (6oz, 180ml) white wine
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) beef broth
- 2 cups (15oz, 450gr) chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tbs cornstarch (maizena) dissolved in 2 tbs water
- Trim and wash the leek, Roughly chop.
- Finely chop the carrot and celery.
- Mince the garlic.
- Heat the oil in a heavy Dutch oven or deep skillet. Add the leek, carrot, celery, garlic and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Move vegetables to the side. Add veal and brown on both sides, about 7 minutes total.
- Add wine, broth, tomatoes and herbs. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 60 minutes (or longer).
- When ready to serve:
- Remove veal and cover to keep warm.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water.
- Turn the heat to medium-high under the sauce.
- Stir in the cornstarch mixture until sauce is thickened and no longer cloudy. Spoon sauce over the veal shanks and serve.