Menu Plan for the week of August 9, 2013: Wednesday's Recipes
Zucchini (Courgette) Stuffed with Couscous and Sausage
Cooking time: 25 minutes plus 20 baking for menu Cooking schedule: see below for instructions
I got 16oz (480gr) sausages, used 3 for this and the rest for tomorrow. You could use 2 small squash in place of 1 large.
Zucchini (Courgette) Stuffed with Sausage and Couscous
Total time: 40 minutes
The zucchini are partially cooked while the stuffing is made, so they only need to be baked to finish - and melt the cheese.
- 1/2 cup (3oz, 90gr) couscous
- 3/4 cup (6oz, 180ml) chicken broth
- 6oz (180gr) sausage, removed from casing
- 1 onion
- 1/2 green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) tomato sauce
- 1 large zucchini (14oz, 420gr) or 2 smaller
- 3/4 cup (3oz 90gr) shredded cheese, any flavor
- The zucchini:
- Cut zucchini in half the long way. With a small spoon scrape out the seeds and flesh from the center forming long boat-like shells. Leave 1/4" (.6cm) at either end to hold in the filling.
- Put them in a baking dish, single layer, cover with foil and bake, 400F (200C), for 15 minutes.
- Remove and keep covered until ready to fill.
- The couscous:
- Heat chicken broth to boiling.
- Put couscous in a bowl, pour chicken stock over and cover. Do not stir.
- Let sit, covered, for 10 minutes.
- The stuffing:
- Chop onion and pepper.
- Mince garlic.
- Heat olive oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chili powder, cumin, and sauté briefly.
- Add onion, pepper and garlic, sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add sausage to skillet and cook, breaking it up as it browns.
- Add tomato sauce, Worcestershire, oregano and heat through.
- Add couscous, stir to combine and remove from heat.
- The finish:
- Spoon filling into the zucchini shells. Any filling that doesn't fit, just keep warm and serve on the side.
- Cover zucchini with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove, uncover, sprinkle with cheese and bake 5 minutes longer.
- Serve, leftover filling on the side.
Cooking schedule: 45 minutes
Put couscous in bowl, pour in chicken broth, cover